Listen, I have to admit, right off the bat, that I love a good rule. I am NOT a rebel, by any means. A cop will pull me over and I will immediately start sobbing… I just hate being in trouble. However, when it comes to fashion, I have a completely different outlook. If you want to wear a garbage bag with some stilettos, YOU SHOULD DO IT. Whatever makes you feel good, girlfriend, do it up. And although I’m not quite at the point of styling my green garbage bag, I did decide to curate this list of ridiculous fashion “rules” that I think we should seriously throw right into the trash.
Fashion Rules That Should Be Broken
- No white after Labour Day. As seen in this look, the snow is falling and I am in head-to-toe white. Perhaps steer clear of white clothing in more summery materials, like linen, but anything luxe, like this crepe skirt and embroidered top are completely appropriate. This top is only $19… Get it here!
- Denim on Denim is a huge no-no. Are you kidding? Give me all the denim, on denim, on denim.
- Pink + Red = CLASH. This is one of my fave combos so…
- Sweatpants are not appropriate to wear out in public. I am currently obsessed with 2-piece sets, and most of the sweatpant variety. My #1 article of clothing right now is this pair of distressed, formfitting sweatpants, that I’ve almost completely worn out – inside AND outside the house!
- The men’s department is just for men. As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, the men’s section at TopShop is my #1 stop when I hit up the mall.
- When you feel chunky, drown yourself in loose-fitting styles. Girl. No. If you’re feeling a little puffy after last weekends wine and cheese binge, the LAST thing you should do is throw on an empire-waist top. Loose fitting styles typically make you look bigger than you are – so why add to extra fabric on the days where you already feel bigger?
- You cant wear silver and gold jewelry together. With a little mixing talent, this can be a totally cute look!
- You shouldn’t wear a dark lip with a dark eye. Like, I get why you shouldn’t, because it can get a little drag queen, HOWEVER, I think there is always a time and place for a drag queen makeup look because they truly are QUEENS and were the originators of a the contour (#RESPECT) so… I say go for it.